I'd just like to preface this by saying I'm a complete newbie with electrics, so please bear with me.
I just went out and bought a battery pack for my RC Car controller as well as a balance charger. The battery pack is an 8 cell NiCd pack, which as labeled as "9.6v 650mAh" (although I doubt quite a lot that the entire pack is only rated 650mAh). I knew the battery would not be charged off the bat, so I quickly got home, plugged in this charger and started reading the manual. This is where my problem starts.
The manual is in very poorly translated English, and it seems to expect that you have prior experience with chargers and such.
After some fumbling, I figured out that I needed to give it a charging current (which can range from .1A to 6A). I went with what seemed to be the safest option of 0.1A and let it go. It then started a cycle of charge-rest-charge-rest and so on. I have no idea of knowing when it is fully charged and didn't want to risk it, so after about 5 minutes of having the battery on the charger I unplugged it and put it in my controller, which has a battery voltage readout. It said 11.7V, which was more or less the voltage I got when I used to put in 8 separate conventional NiMh rechargable AAs. I thought that was good enough and started playing with the trim on my RC car. Very soon afterwards my control started beeping indicating the battery was low. It's now on about 8.9V.
So I'm assuming I either gave it the wrong charging current or I took it off before it was fully charged (or both). Can anyone give me a crash course on do's/dont's or a formula of what charging current I should use and how I should charge this battery?