I'm looking for a device that allows me to supervise an existing BTicino home alarm system. The system can communicate via RS-232 (or USB) interface using an open protocol, Openwebnet.
I need to be able to:
- intercept events from the RS-232 communication (known messages coming from the serial port), and then
- provide feedback through a GSM network (SMS messages).
The basic requirements I have are:
- very low power consumption (<= 5 W),
- RS232 or USB interface (communication with the alarm system gateway),
- another RS232 or USB interface (communication with a GSM module),
- 12 V supply (or UPS battery backup), and
- programmability (to host the logic for interecept and react to events).
Up until now I have evaluated these solutions:
- FIT PC-2
- A full computer with very green power supply (5W).
- In addition it could host a web server for further connection capability.
- Too expensive.
- Sheeva Plug / GuruPlug
- Telit GM 862
Which hardware platform do I need?