I want to regulate the voltage from a battery down to 5v to power an Arduino and a Wi-Fi webcam. I’m not too keen on a linear regulator as a lot of power is wasted, so that’s led me to look at switching regulators. I’ve also stumbled on UBECs, which seem to do a similar thing.

The two components I am looking at are these:

What's the main difference between these? Is either one more suitable for my purposes? My load will be under 1A.


2 Answers 2


A UBEC (Ultimate Battery Elimination Circuit) is basically a step-down voltage regulator. I feel that the jargon deserves a bit of explanation and history, so here goes:

In hobbyist grade remote control cars/planes/boats/etc. the electronics (receiver, speed controller, servos) need a power source. With engine powered craft, a small 6V battery pack was used to power the electronics. When electric motors became more popular, people wanted to use the large motor battery packs to power the low-power electronics. Typically, the electronic speed controller absorbed this function, and it became known as a Battery Elimination Circuit (BEC). With battery packs usually in the 9V-11V range, the electronics would probably need 5-6V to be happy.

Evidently there has been a push to use higher voltage battery packs (10V-25V), probably to take advantage of the brush-less motors. As a result, if the servos draw any appreciable current, a linear regulator would burn a lot of power. Obviously, when your flight/driving time is based on how efficiently you use your battery, a linear regulator is not what you want. Ultimate Battery Elimination Circuits are basically separate regulators (usually switch-mode) that deliver 5V-6V at hopefully high efficiency.

Now for the comparison. Your parts basically have two different end-use requirements. The Dimension Engineering product tries to match the form factor of a common linear regulator (7805). It would probably integrate better with any finished PCB you would make, and has a metal shell which hopefully shields EMI. The Hobbywing regulator is a more cost-conscious physical design, with a bit better efficiency spec. Honestly they're pretty much the same thing, so you could probably go with the cheaper one (Hobbywing).

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks - a very informative answer - I'll go with the UBEC instead of the standard switching regulator. \$\endgroup\$
    – finster
    Commented Dec 29, 2010 at 9:38
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Just to follow this up, the Hobbywing UBEC arrived and works great - I've got it connected to a 7.2v NiMH battery outputting 5v and its powering the webcam fine. \$\endgroup\$
    – finster
    Commented Dec 31, 2010 at 22:22

From the pages Google shows when looking up UBEC it looks like UBEC is a brand name. In any case it seems to be an ordinary SMPS (switch-mode power supply).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.