Newbie question. I have a Davis 7852 Rain collector that measures Rainfall using a Reed switch. The output comes via an RJ11 plug with following pinout
- Black - Unused
- Red - Switch terminal
- Green & Yellow- Switch terminal
I am assuming that when Rain tips the collector, a circuit is completed and a voltage output will come on these wires. My plan as of now is
- crimp the wire - tip the switch and measure wire voltages using a multimeter
- There would be a high voltage wire and another would be low voltage
- Now I have to measure the difference between high voltage and low voltage wires The difference will tell if the switch has been flipped.
Does the plan look reasonable? How can I interface these wires to Arduino input pins? Any precautions in pushing the RJ11 wires to Arduino?
- Manual from Davis http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-275_IM_07852.pdf
- Another link talks about modifying instrument to one wire protocol
EDIT-2 (in reponse to Michael)
Much Thanks. I am reading electronics text to work out this circuit :D
EDIT-3 Thanks. figured out the schematics :D