I'm playing around with motion detection for fun and came across the problem of detecting the motion of uniform objects (e.g. cubes, balls, etc) from a fixed position. Concise: electronically capture the path of such a small object that enters an open empty space (field, flat ground, no other objects).
QUESTION: What sensors do you employ to fulfill the following requirements (within the given enrionment).
Environment and scenario:
- empty, cubic space (air only),
- no side longer than 40 feet / 12 meters.
- different but natural outdoor or indoor air pressure.
- no temperature difference between object and sensor.
- temperature between 5° and 55° celcius
- objects enter space from one side of the cube only.
- sensor must be opposite of the object entry side.
- location of object must be captured highly frequenty (min 10 times) within 1-3 seconds.
- each measurement event must deliver x, y and z (full relative position to the sensor).
- the sensing angel must be 80° (from what I read, that is really high. However, I think that can be resolved by installing multiple sensors to reach the 80°.)
So, dear e-engineers. What sensor is to solve that problem best under the given conditions? ultrasonic sensors?
Thanks for hints (that go beyond my concrete question).