Let's consider a device such as a game controller or a standard remote control, but which is not controlled by "standard" keys. Instead, the idea is to minimize finger movement, such as in a keyer. What would be the best way to detect rather small finger movements - things like these come to my mind:
Some notes on what I'm thinking about:
- Doesn't necessary need to be a mechanical device
- It would be good to support more then 4 / 5 directions - e.g. 9-way (i.e. w, nw, n, ne, e, se, s, sw + down) would be much better
- While I'd like to hear experiences about these types, it would be better to have a way to either prevent or at least detect accidental "typing"
- Obviosly, finger movement is the variable to minimize - I'd say 1/2" would be the threshold here
- Let me know if I'm thinking in the wrong direction (too hard? better in some other way? etc.)
I'm mostly looking at your past experience in this area:
- Did you ever have to build / maintain anything remotely similar?
- Why would or would not you use the same component / process?
- How did the final product turn out (e.g. in terms of ease of use)?