I'm building a lamp that has (up to) three wall-mounted units connected to a central control box. Each one gets three low-voltage control signal wires and 12V 3A DC power. I'm figuring that a USB PD cable is going to be best for this, just for convenience, but I'm having trouble finding USB PD panel-mount jacks.

  • \$\begingroup\$ USB-PD and convenience don't really go together very well. \$\endgroup\$
    – Hearth
    Jul 31 '19 at 17:53
  • \$\begingroup\$ Why isn't USB-PD convenient? What would be a better connector? \$\endgroup\$ Jul 31 '19 at 18:55
  • \$\begingroup\$ USB-PD requires a microcontroller on both ends of the link capable of communicating its power requirements. \$\endgroup\$
    – Hearth
    Jul 31 '19 at 19:34
  • \$\begingroup\$ Well, maybe not necessarily a microcontroller, as you could use a dedicated USB-PD negotiation chip, but the fact stands that it's somewhat obnoxious to deal with. \$\endgroup\$
    – Hearth
    Jul 31 '19 at 20:02
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ @JefftheGreen Don't use USB connectors for things that are not USB. That just invites confusion when a user tries to connect a real USB device (or host). \$\endgroup\$
    – user39382
    Jul 31 '19 at 23:23

If you are making something for your own home office or garage, you can use whatever low-voltage connectors/wires you want, including Type-C connectors.

However, these connectors are designed for high-speed communication with low-profile portable devices in first place, and power delivery is sort-of secondary. As high-speed (10 GHz range) connectors, they typically have 0.5mm pitch and target thin 0.8mm PCBs (half of normal PCB). These parameters are hardly "convenient" to deal with.

More, the Type-c and PD requirements are that initially the connector/port should not have any voltage, and ony if a special signaling over CC wires is detected, the starting voltage is "+5VSAFE", and only after heavy negotiations over PD protocol it is allowed to supply higher voltages.

And I don't want to start about the cost of Type-C cables.

So, for projects like 12-V lamps, it is more convenient to use old-style DIN connectors, like this one, which are better manageable in DIY environment:

enter image description here


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.