I have a device like this https://www.vaisala.com/sites/default/files/documents/WXT530-Users-Guide-M211840EN.pdf.
- I have an FTDI to USB board from Sparkfun which is tested to work with other serial devices, so it's not broken.
- The device mentioned above is correctly wired for RS232 and is tested with an USB -> DB9 on 19200,8,N,1 to work correct both on Mac and Windows.
- The serial device prints ASCII characters one line at the time which is ended with
When I wire the serial device to the FTDI to USB and I use the correct baudrate, I get garbage out. I have spent numerous hours to fix this and I can't figure out the problem.
If someone have ideas, that would be appreciated.
Things I have tried :
- I tried 2 different USB to DB9 that work fine both on Windows and Mac
- I tried the mentioned FTDI from Sparkfun both on Mac and Windows, same problem -> garbage.
- On the Vaisala device, I have connected SGND (Serial Ground) with the Vin - no difference.
My ultimate goal is to connect the Vaisala serial device to the serial of an ESP8266, but until I understand this problem I can't continue. Actually I did try to connect it and I also get garbage here too.