I have a "land line" telephone (ie. with an RJ11 plug) and a CSR8615 HFP bluetooth module (datasheet) — I'm looking to make my mobile's phone calls ring the land line phone, as well as being able to take the calls there as well.

I'm fairly confident I can get the Bluetooth board set up to collect a line in and send a line out, but I'm struggling to figure out how to make my telephone collect & send audio as well as making it ring.

There's a wealth of resources out there (the 'ringer' section in here looks particularly promising), but so many of these articles are old/incomplete enough that I'm finding it hard to tell whether they're about UK or US telephone systems, and whether I'll end up damaging something if I try putting a 80V peak-to-peak AC voltage through my phone, as is suggested here.

Can anyone offer a design or advice for me? (I'm a professional software engineer, so I can learn fast, but I finished my electronics A-level 10 years ago, so the EE side of things is rusty to say the least!)


1 Answer 1


This shows up in cable modem + voip designs as a requirement to support legacy POTS lines.

Look for ‘Subscriber Line IC’ or ‘SLIC’ to get more info.

Here’s a UK company that offers solutions; http://www.silvertel.com/products

Also see here: https://www.silabs.com/products/voice

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Downvote? Explain yourself so the answer can improve. \$\endgroup\$ Aug 9, 2019 at 0:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.