Im currently trying to build a square wave circuit using the 555 Timer (see picture). Currently it is producing a square wave between 0 to 5V, duty cycle is about 50% and a frequency of about 50kHz. (I am later on planning to add a integrator circuit on order to produce a triangular wave).

My question is: How do I make a "AC square wave" if possible. For example, make the output +- 2.5V.

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ You said it is already producing a square wave, so what's the question? You want it to produce a square wave from -2.5 V to 2.5 V or something? Please edit your post to clarify. \$\endgroup\$
    – Null
    Commented Nov 15, 2021 at 22:55
  • \$\begingroup\$ You need negative voltage power supply + comparator. \$\endgroup\$
    – user208862
    Commented Nov 15, 2021 at 22:56
  • \$\begingroup\$ set your ground reference to 2.5 V below Vcc \$\endgroup\$
    – jsotola
    Commented Nov 15, 2021 at 23:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ Capacitors block DC and are used for AC coupling. \$\endgroup\$
    – Justme
    Commented Nov 15, 2021 at 23:38
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Konrado, @Justme brings up a point. It's simple to just add a cap to the output (with a weak galvanic resistor to ground) in order to shift the output. But then a lot depends on what the load is like and how long you can wait for the output to settle down. Load details become important and you've not said much about that. Do you need significant current compliance at your \$\pm 2.5\:\text{V}\$ output? \$\endgroup\$
    – jonk
    Commented Nov 15, 2021 at 23:44


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.