On the bottom of this picture there are two boxes. One with what looks like the letter y in a circle and another box which you can turn with a screw driver beside it. What I want to know is what are these parts and what do they do?

enter image description here

The circuit in the picture is the photographing cell that takes the video (don't know the technical name) from a JVC GR-65 (magnetic tape camcorder)


1 Answer 1


Those are inductors or transformers. Sometimes they can also contain an internal capacitor. They are used for interstage coupling and as filters. The ferrite core in some of these is adjustable - it is threaded like a screw and can be moved in and out of the core to tune the frequency response.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Example units here \$\endgroup\$ Sep 5, 2015 at 10:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.