I am looking to do a proof of concept for a project where each node will broadcast a set of data (GPS Related) in predefined intervals, so every other node do some processing based on that data.
I am yet to finalise my exact list of core functionalities to focus on POC. Rough overall requirements are given below. I would decide based your feedback.
- Network would be host hopping mesh network. Each node should be in coverage with at-least one other node to function. Network would be dynamic where there is a possibility of next node can go offline or off coverage.
- Maximum 10 nodes will be in the network. Each node may broadcast every 10 Seconds.
- ACK is a nice to have feature.
- Expecting coverage around 2 to 3 Km in outback/bush-lands.
- Prefer to be less than 50 USD.
I am based on Australia.
Based on my research, LORA OR ZigBee seems to be promising. Personally i am slightly inclined with LORA module because cost vs range over ZigBee.
RFM96 LORA 433Mhz Looks like good candidate. Check this product for LORA. Bundled with Atmel ATMega1284P microcontroller. This combo is resonalby priced and gives 16KB of ram to playaround.
I have found a good set of drivers and mesh network libraries for LORA RFM96.
Anyone implemented mesh type network using LORA RFM96?
What would be practically achievable data rate using LORA RFM96? So i can decide what to leave/include in transmission.
What type of antenna gives more covarage and data rate for LORA RFM96?
I couldn't find a suitable ZigBee (Price and Range) Or Other modules in my case. Any recommendations if ZigBee or any other modules seems to be good candidate?
I believe this is not an opinion based question. I have given my research and finding and asking help to decide based on your past experience.